Monday, April 13, 2020

Missing

There is a significant difference between being alone and being lonely, but sometimes they converge as they did for me yesterday.  I miss(ed) my family.  Deb called and I exchanged texts with the boys.  Under the circumstances, it would have to be enough.

Our first walk of the day was weird.  Sundays are always quiet, but yesterday was, except for the birds, completely silent.  No distant voices, no chainsaws, no car engines...nothing.  Even Missy was missing.  Michael sat down on the driveway to listen and ponder.  He looked up at me as if to say, "Do you hear anything?  What's going on?"  Anyone who has read "The Stand" by Stephen King (1978) will understand how creepy it was.  Oddly enough, the culprit in that book was a pandemic, lethal virus.  (Insert shudder and goosebumps here.)

Okay, enough of that.  A good portion of the day was spent being productive on the computer, taking care of business.  By our second walk, there were reassuring sounds of life in the world.  Whew.

Thanks to George, while I might have missed our Easter ham dinner, I certainly didn't go hungry.  Where in the world did he find beautiful, firm fresh strawberries?  I indulged and ate the whole chocolate bunny at one sitting.  If I start to waddle when I walk, blame George.

For the afternoon's entertainment, I watched, for the umpteenth time, "The Unsuspected" (1947, Claude Rains, Joan Caulfield, Audrey Totter).  A murder mystery might seem strange fare for Easter, but it certainly took my mind off myself.

Missy appeared on our last walk of the day and we were back to whatever normal is.

Safe safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Yes, living alone in a "stay-at-home" existence is quite odd. I mostly miss watching my grandchildren grow and learn and chatter...and going out on errands any time I want. Unlike you, I live very close to numerous stores, and that is one way to interact with people...or at least it used to be. But, I will take my mom's (and lots of peoples' moms) words to heart..."This too shall pass!"