Thursday, April 30, 2020

It's A Start

For a change, procrastination worked in my favor.  Having delayed during the record-breaking heat for April, yesterday morning was actually cool.  Fu lived up to his name and we bucked and bounced, starting to mow the west field.  I didn't get the angle quite right in this picture, but it gives an idea of how thick and how high the weeds are compared to the mown path on the right.  Because the weeds are so thick and tall, we could only take baby bites, go slowly, and sometimes had to redo a second time.  Fu was valiant.  I'm going to have to rethink my routes.  In the past, we could do most of the yard just going in circles.  As happens, the earth has shifted, leaving hillier sections that tilt Fu, low-slung as he is, calling for a more up-and-down pattern.  After an hour and only about a third of the field done, Fu and I were ready to call it quits for the day.  I tucked him into his shed and limped back to the house.

I didn't go into town, but did make it up to Holiday.  Amazing.  Either people don't watch or believe the news or they just don't give a damn.  I don't get it.  Few were wearing masks (I was).  The store had put down one-way arrows in the aisles...totally ignored.  Social distancing?  You've got to be kidding.  When the body count from the virus in just the U.S. alone is higher than all the casualties in the ten-year Vietnam War, you'd think that would make an impact.  Think again.  I got my cat food and kitty litter and made a quick exit.

Truck had held the warmth from the prior heat and I turned on the A/C.  The fan worked, but blew only hot air.  I've got an appointment next week for him to get juiced up again.  I hope this isn't going to be a yearly event.  At least I found out before summer.

The weather seems to be holding so Fu and I will tackle the field again today.  We got a good start, but there's lots more to do.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

So glad you and Fu had a good go of it. Crossing my fingers that today was a good day for the two of you!!