Saturday, April 25, 2020

Oh Well

Any excuse is a good one to put off going to town (or any other onerous task).  I've perfected the technique and have even been known to provide excuses to other people who didn't want to do something.  Delay was the "reason" yesterday.  Mow, then go to town; that was the plan.  I dawdled, Michael dawdled (he's on my side), and pretty soon it was too hot to mow.  Okay, what's on the shopping list that I can't do without for another day?  Hmmm.  Not much, so scratch going to town.  (See how easy it is?)

Michael led me to the deck on our second walk, but we didn't stay long.  Nature could change her mind again, but it was hot!

When the sun had dropped far enough in the afternoon, I went out to mow.  "Please start, please start, please start," I pleaded on my way to the shed.  I climbed aboard Fu, set the gears, checked the gas, and turned the key.  Varoom!  Wahoo!  And then nothing.  He quit.  Click, click, click...nothing.  "Oh, Fu, why do you hate me?"  It's very hard not to take such an event (or lack thereof) personally.  Dejected, I gave his new horn a last defiant squeeze and went back to the house.  Oh well.  It seems that Fu has opted for retirement.  At least Florence got her yard mowed.  Dratted turncoat machine.  Maybe he was daunted by the huge task at hand.

Ralph and Celeste are in charge in the house.  Missy has claimed the outside as her own.  She comes and goes at will.  I've noticed that she is not emptying her food bowl as she had, but is certainly not losing weight.  I believe she may be supplementing her diet with squirrel(s), to which I have no objection.  I'm just glad she doesn't bring home trophy parts.  Yesterday afternoon she made herself quite at home on one of the chairs close to the open door on the porch, driving the "innies" to distraction.

I'm out of excuses for today.  Oh well.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: