Thursday, April 2, 2020

Socked In

It was as if Nature was enforcing the stay-at-home rule yesterday.  She sent us a fog bank so thick I couldn't see even the outline of the surrounding hills.  Michael couldn't snoop on the neighbors on our first walk because the winery had disappeared.  It lasted until about ten and then, poof!, it was gone.  The sun came out, but it never did warm up much.

The song of chainsaws and wood chippers is heard almost daily now.  Those PG&E guys are taking their job seriously.  I wish there was better communication between the supervisors slash inspectors and the crews.  When I was first contacted I was told that one of a stand of three pines would be taken out.  I even went with the inspector so she could show me exactly which tree was doomed.  She said "a couple" of cedars would also go.  Okay, better safe than sorry.  Well, when the crew worked their way up to my place, they went gung ho and dropped all three pines and took out almost all the cedars along the road.  I contacted the supervisor.  "I guess they didn't read my notes."

Heeding my own counsel, I spoke with my niece and a couple of long-time friends.  We are friends who don't need to talk often to stay in touch, but it was nice to hear their voice.  I spooked Arden.  She called while I was speaking long-distance to New Hampshire and didn't want to interrupt.  I have call-waiting, but without my glasses on I couldn't see which button to push.  Drat.  I knew it was Arden and that I could call her back when I was finished.  She called again and again, afraid because I didn't answer.  By the time we connected, she was ready to dial 911.  I appreciate her concern.

The sun came out on time this morning and it looks like it's going to be a lovely day.

Stay well.  Be safe.

No comments: