Friday, April 17, 2020

Reality Check

I hope by now everyone has found ways to cope with the new reality in which we find ourselves.  It's different, it's challenging, it's inconvenient, it's frightening.  We're walking a trail for which we have no map.  The thing is, we're all in it together.  People all over the world are going through this dark time together.  I hope you're finding, as I am, that this is an opportunity for niceness and compassion.  I've received welcome phone calls from relatives and friends that I haven't seen or heard from in a long time.  Even up at Gray's Corner, "May I help you to your car with that?"  A small thing, but kind.

I'm not so naive as to ignore the devastating financial impact this has to have on so many.  Having gone through some pretty (okay, really) rough times in my life, I can say that, in a way, it's a time for ingenuity, finding new and different ways to feed, teach, and entertain ourselves.  Sharing will be a big part of survival.  Maybe those people who rushed to fill a cart with toilet paper will share...or not.  Wouldn't it be nice if they did?  It really is a time to "Love your neighbor as yourself."  There are other Georges out there, I know.

Isolation is not a big deal for me now.  I do remember the days when the Kids were little and one would bring home some disease or other from school to share, one at a time, with their siblings (this was back before there was the MMR immunization).  Two weeks, four weeks, make it two months in the house with one sick kid after another.  Yes, I was desperate for adult company.  I know that feeling, and I sympathize with those who are just now finding themselves in a place they never planned for.

This is here.  This is now.  This is real.  I most sincerely hope that, regardless of what is put out there for "getting America going again," we will listen to the Dr. Faucis of the world and put health and safety...and life! ahead of economics.  This dark period will end.  We may emerge to find a different world, but we're resilient.  We'll cope.

Stay safe.  Be well.  (I'll go back to farm talk tomorrow, I promise.)

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Nice blog, and yes, let's hope it bring the compassion out in everyone. Your comment about your children passing things around made me think of one of my favorite childhood books, "Cheaper by the Dozen." As I recall, they set up a dormitory for the boys and one for the girls when the chicken pox swept through!! That's a LOT of cots!!