Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Maybe Not

I'm doomed, destined for a life of weeds, weeds, and more weeds, and it's not Fu's fault.  I waited for that perfect moment yesterday and when it came, I went out to put Fu to work.  He fired up as if he also was raring to go.  The pattern is this:  one trip clockwise around the perimeter of the west field so as to get close to the fence, then switch to counterclockwise for the rest of the job.  Yeah, well.  We were almost done with the fence line when one of Fu's front tires dropped into a hidden hole, leaving the rear drive wheel spinning in the air.  Couldn't go forward, couldn't back up, and worse, I wasn't strong enough to pull or push him out, try as I might.  Sigh.  As much as I hated to, I abandoned Fu Manchu in the field and headed back to the house to put in a call for help.  Neighbor Joe wasn't home, but I explained my dilemma to Mrs. Joe and she kindly said she'd send him over today.

I also had to put in a call to Bruce, another call I didn't want to make.  While attempting to extricate Fu, I saw that a huge dead branch had fallen across the fence between our properties.  If I couldn't budge the tractor, I sure couldn't move that branch.  He was out of town, but said he'd let Annie know so she wouldn't let her horses into that field.  I'm starting to feel like the neighborhood problem child.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: